Toxic Truths: Why you need to stop cleaning with bleach


Bleach has been used in household cleaning since the 1950s.  But just because we've done something for a long time, doesn't mean it's the right way.  

We're bringing you the toxic truths about bleach, and why you should stop cleaning your home with it.  Let's go...

🧪 It's polluting your home

Fumes from chlorine bleach pollute our homes. They irritate our respiratory systems and are particularly dangerous to kids with underdeveloped lungs.  And don't even get us started on the dangers of mixing bleach. If it's put with other common household chemicals like vinegar or ammonia, it can produce deadly, and even explosive results.

🧪 It doesn't even work

Bleach might not even be as effective a cleaner as you think.  It actually loses its effectiveness over time and if exposed to heat, light and oxygen. It only has a shelf life of about six months (and that's when stored properly in a cool, dark place).   A bleach solution actually loses its disinfecting power after just one day!

🧪  Households that use bleach have a higher chance of illness

A recent study of 9,000 European children, ages 6–12, found that bleach is actually associated with a higher chance of illness. Children from bleach-using households had:

  • a 20% greater incidence of flu
  • a 35% increase in tonsillitis
  • an 18% increase in general infections
🧪 You don't actually need bleach to kill germs
Despite what good marketing will have you think, you don't need bleach to kill germs. Alternatives like rubbing alcohol or oxygen bleach can be used to disinfect your home. As well as eco favourites like bicarbonate of soda, white vinegar and essential oils that are more cost-effective.

If you don't fancy making your own, we've tried & tested the best bleach alternatives out there just for you.  Shop loo cleaners and surface sprays that are non-toxic, vegan and eco-friendly here.


Leave a comment


Please note, comments must be approved before they are published